Welcome

Peter Koetsier (Chair) called the meeting to order at 9:40 AM and welcomed members, guests and recognized Mayor Larry Baird and Councilor Paul Wiancko

 Quorum

Recording Secretary Al Will noted more than the required quorum of 24 was present.

 Minutes

M/S Al Hazelton/David Puttock

That the minutes August 17th, 2013 be approved as circulated.              

Carried

 Financial Statements

John Elgar (Treasurer) referred members to their copy of HOOTS that contained the financial statements. He addressed:

·      Page 12 and spoke to major revenue sources and disbursements. He noted the $5,000 for water testing was not spent and deferred to 2014.   

·      Page 14, the legal funds is adequate at some $18,000 and sees no need to increase the fund at this time

·      Page 15, the water testing fund is stable for the moment

·      Page 13 Day Camp: The camp has been increasing its losses over the past 3 years and needs both increased and stabilized attendance and some fund raising this year. Income for the wake boarding camp was included in the camp fees

M/S John Elgar/Larry Enfield

That the financial statements be approved as printed.                                  

Carried

 HHCCInc.

Norm Buchanan  addressed the financial statements for the Honey Harbour Community Church Inc. (owners of the property and the school house) and referred people to page 16 of HOOTS and noted:

·      No disbursements from the building fund so it grew from by $2,599 from $59,868 to $62,467

·      The maintenance fee of $40 comes from each HHA member (donation for income tax credit)

·      Largest expense items are maintenance contract with Big Red Works and for insurance

·      No motion required

Annual Report

Peter (Chair) Highlighted the Work & Results of the Various Committees

 Day Camp

 L Lisa Harding  presented on behalf of Jenny Roy and mentioned:

·    Flyers, Raffle and Fun day

·    Negative $6,525 last year

·    Councilor Paul Wiancko suggested applying to the township for a recreation grant to which Lisa replied that we would

·    Thanks to all the providers of the lunch today following the AGM and donations will be welcome towards the day camp fund raising efforts

·    Looking for someone to take on fund raising for the day camp

·    Other suggestions from members were noted and will be taken under consideration be the camp volunteers. Comments included:

o  Lower rates, maybe discounts for multiple children/grand children,

o  Promotion and delivery of canoeing, swimming lessons & tennis (some members were not aware of current programming)

 Regatta

The regatta report is in HOOTS and this year’s event is scheduled for Saturday August 2nd

 Tennis Club

 Carolyn Heron  reported:

  • August 16th for Moonlight Madness
  • Contact volunteers are Sandy Patterson and Debbie Hartshorn

 Church Services

Cam Shaw invited everyone to our weekly church services and noted the corn roast and concert on August 3rd

 GBA

 Peter referred members and guests to page 98 and 99 for the report from Bob Duncanson of the Georgian Bay Association. $45 from each membership goes to the GBA. Paul Percheson has stepped down as one of our representatives and Peter Koetsier has replaced him, Alan Waffle also serves on the GBA.

 Building Report

Tim Pawlowski reported on:

·      New septic tank and tie in to the septic bed

·      Other repairs and the occupancy permit

 Governance Committee

 Peter recognized Al Will as Chair of the Governance Committee and the creation and approval of some policies noting the Conflict of Interest Policy and the Code of Conduct and by-law revisions.

 Winter patrol

 Stephen Murch opened the discussion on the winter patrol, comments from members and Stephen included:

  • Concern that not all members could find tags indication service, there should have been 3 punches
  • Particular concern in the area south and east of Webber Island en route to Gagnon Bay
  • Cell phone picture might be quicker proof with time and date stamp yet the contract calls for getting out to inspect the buildings.
  • Only cottages with 911 reference numbers listed in HOOTS are inspected. Please submit your numbers if you want service
  • Will need to compare our current costs of around $25/member against enhanced services
  • It was a difficult winter for patrolling & getting near many properties
  • By a show of hands about 40% of those present would be interested to pay more ($50 mentioned) for enhanced service

 HOOTS

Peter recognized Kathy Kay for her leadership with the publishing of HOOTS. Kathy reminded everyone that communications is a 2-way street and the Board encourages your input.

 Membership &

Website

Lisa Harding  reported:

  • Trying to get e-mail addresses for increased communications
  • Looking to increase membership numbers and improve services
  • Thank you for your response from the survey, it is helping to set board direction
  • Reporting on behalf of Andrew Severs
    • New website
    • Other family members or non-members could be added to an e-mail alert list to notify people of website updates
  • Suggestion to add cottage phone #’s to HOOTS listing – need to add a line on the membership application “Permission to post etc…” re freedom of information

 Environment

Tom Bain referred people to articles in HOOTS on both water quality and septic systems :

  • Increase in levels of phosphorous
  • Unsuccessful with grant submissions for water testing
  • Excellent seminar coming up on August 11th, hosted by the Township of Georgian Bay

 Municipal Liaison

Peter thanked Al Hazelton and Tom Bain for many years of service, Peter and other Directors will continue to try to make this work.

 HHCC Inc.

Tom Bain reported:

  • Bat proofing is now complete at an actual cost of $3,400 compared to a budget of $10,000, thanks to a contact from Tim Pawlowski
  • Cost of new septic tank and tile bed repairs was less than $10,000, thanks to Al Hazelton  for working with contractors to satisfy the township

 Honey Harbour Book Project

Peter & Kathy  reported:

  • This is a fund raiser to help complete the school house
  • Need to sell 200 pre-purchase orders, now just over 100
  • $14,000 budget, contact Kathy Kay or Mary Lou Justason

 By-Law Review

Larry Enfield (Secretary/Legal)  lead the discussion:

  • John Keyser recently sent a few suggestions that have been added, they are 3.10 Administer Affairs, 3.11 Expenditures and 3.12 Borrowing Powers. All 3 are current in the existing by-laws – this is not a change, just omitted in the draft new by-law.
  • Membership issue is a compromise. Members today reiterated much of the discussion from the Governance Committee and the Board over the past 12 months
  • Members raised points re senior family members passing on ownership to the next generation and then no longer able to be members, other points re grand children
  • Opposing view to opening membership is the opinion that we should be a rate payers association only
  • Some concern over new term limits for Directors , but members were reminded that retired Directors can continue to serve on committees, as volunteers and could return after a year off
  • We need to do a better job promoting Associate benefits

 M/S  Larry Enfield/ Stephen Murch

“That Bylaw #2 be approved as presented in advance of the meeting with the inclusions (mentioned above) of sections 3.10 Administer Affairs, 3.11 Expenditures and 3.12 Borrowing Powers.”                                      

Carried

(3 Opposed)

 Peter thanked everyone and commented that membership is always a work in progress. Note: To add membership discussion to future surveys.

 Retiring Directors

 Peter recognized the service of those Directors not running for re-election and thanked them all for their service, he noted:

  • Al Will retiring after one year but staying on as Recording Secretary (not a Director).
  • Paul Percheson after 8 years, serving on the GBA but now working out of the country
  • John Elgar after some 9 years in working tirelessly in various capacities including membership, HOOTS, advertising and as Treasurer
  • Tom Bain  for some 23 years contributing very significant time, expertise and monetary donations especially to the new School House & Church and his passionate concerns for septic system improvements, water quality and the Environment
  • Al Hazelton for serving 12 years as President and the face of the Honey Harbour Association, plus 8 more years prior to that as a Director

 Nominating Committee Report

Peter  reported on behalf of the Nominating Committee Chair Stephen Murch:

  • 3 calls for any other nominations from the floor
  • Hearing no new nominations, declared nominations closed

M/S Peter Koetsier/ Bill Parton

That the slate of Directors be elected as Presented, alphabetically;

Bill Cooper, Kathryn Davis, Jane Dunker, Larry Enfield, Lisa Harding, Carolyn Heron, Kathy Kay, Peter Koetsier, Cary Ledingham, Stephen Murch, Tim Pawlowski, Andrew Severs, Cam Shaw, Jill Ukrainec, and Alan Waffle (15)

Carried

 Auditors

M/S John Elgar/Al Hazelton

 That Jeff Patterson be appointed as Auditor for the coming year.   Carried

 Actions of Directors

M/S John Maynard/Anne Marie Grigaitis

 That the actions and proceedings taken by the Board of Directors of the HHA since the last Annual General Meeting are approved and ratified.     Carried

 Thank you to Directors

 Armin Grigaitis thanked the directors for their work over the past year.

Other Business

 Issues of other Georgian Bay organizations

Tom Bain raised some points of concern that all organizations that are passionate about the bay and water level issues need to work together and sort out in disagreements in private.

 Speed Limit

Near Delawana

 Mark Dymond raised a concern about speed limits in Honey Harbour now being enforced. The Chair and the Board were not aware of the issue but Lisa Harding agreed to add it to the next survey and for the board to address it.

Love Your Bay

Brian Mills, a summer placement student for the Georgian Bay Biosphere Reserve invited people to look at the material on the deck and attend a Love Your Bay event this summer.

 Golf Tournament

Tim Pawlowski  announced that there are only a few spots left for the Aug 12th tournament to raise funds for the Huronia Hospital in Midland

 Adjourn

M/S Cam Shaw / Lisa Harding that the meeting be adjourned.

Carried

Guests were invited to stay for a couple of guest speakers:

  • Janet Lougheed from the Georgian Bay Land Trust
  • Jessica Gunby on election information for the Township of Georgian Bay
  • The nine declared candidates were introduced to the members
  • Colin Dobell of Stop the Drop & Stop the Invasion (against phragmites)

Comment