Summer Ambassador 2018 – Phragmites (the mightY Phrag, invasive weed)
The Honey Harbour Association in partnership with Georgian Bay Forever is looking for a summer student to act as Ambassador fulfilling the job description(s) as follows:
Ambassador will undertake dock visits to educate property owners on how to identify and eradicate invasive Phragmites on their property, map invasive Phragmites and organize community cutting activities primarily in the Honey Harbour area. Additionally education around current initiatives being taken and discussed via other stakeholder groups such as Parkes Canada, MNR,, and The Ontario Phrag working group will be disseminated, as well as handing out brochures re the HHA to encourage membership. These activities will progress from education and mapping in the early summer, to cutting in August. Ambassadors may also be required to transport GBF University research teams to various sites around Honey Harbour.
Skills and Competencies Required:
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and Pleasure Craft Operator Card.
- Must be competent with marine navigation and charts and how to operate GPS systems.
- Working knowledge of Sonar equipment and Chartplotters an asset. Training will be provided.
- Must have good knowledge of the coastal waters of Georgian Bay especially Honey Harbour.
- Use of a personal boat on occasion in the HH area would be an asset.
- Must have good interpersonal skills and competently represent the Honey Harbour Association and Georgian Bay Forever.
- Must have an Environmental Sciences related education.
- Demonstrated ability to manage time and co-ordinate community activities.
- Be able to make public presentations.
- Must be available to work weekends.
- Have a cell phone capable of running the EDDMaps Android based software app.
- Be in good physical condition and able to operate manual and powered cutting tools.
- Be confident in the water and a competent swimmer with an excellent knowledge of water safety practices.
- Keep excellent records and documentation on all activities, participants, and provide reporting on activities, and map and find co-ordinates of invasive plant stands.
- Comfortable public speaker.
Based on the applications received and the experience level, ambassadors may be charged with education and communication, operation of the boat and operation of power tools.
Interested applicants please send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org